Saturday, December 1, 2018

Prussian horse artillery and terrain boards


Too late the join in the tabletop parade, this is the first of three horse artillery bases I'm planning to do for the Prussians. I'll likely do the remaining two in between other paint jobs, and eventually I'd like to add some limbers and horse teams.

I used a slightly different base size for these guys - 50x50mm instead of the 45x60mm I used for the foot artillery. I didn't have any of the latter size to hand, but I think I like this size better anyway.

For the Prussian blue, I experimented (yet again!) with my mix of paints, using Vallejo Model Dark Prussian Blue mixed with Charcoal Grey as a base, then adding a light grey to that same mix for the highlight. It gives a nice greyish blue colour which I think I'll use again for future units.


I'm spending a bit less time painting and more time on terrain at the moment. These are the first four completed Terra-Former tiles from Sally 4th. I picked up a set from their stand at the Carronade show earlier in the year but it's taken me this long to get round to putting them together. If you like the idea of using modular terrain boards for your games, I can highly recommend them.


If you haven't heard of them before, Terra-Formers are mdf frames, 30x30cm, that you glue together and fill with terrain of of your choosing. Different profiles are available, from flat tiles and hills to roads, streams and rivers, and more besides. The photo above shows one of my hill sections in progress. The idea is that you fill the frame with polystyrene or foam and then finish off with scenic materials.


What makes the tiles so neat is that they come with magnets for each side, which you glue in place. This means your tiles click neatly together on the table. So far, I've found that the tiles join very well, with minimal gaps.


Here's one of the stream tiles in progress. I used Kingspan foam, which is cut to size and glued into the frame. Next, I'll carve out the stream bed before painting, adding scenic water and finishing off with foam and static grass. It does require a bit of work, but I think it will be worth it in the end to have a collection of boards that can be used in lots of different configurations.


Here are some road sections in progress. I still need to add some more ground cover and finish modelling the roads. You can see how neatly the sections join.

I'll post some more pictures of the boards as they take shape, and I hope to have time to share some battle reports using them.

Meanwhile on the painting side of things, I have a unit of Prussian hussars on the go, which I'm hoping to get finished next week. Hussar uniforms are a bit fiddly to say the least!

Till next time, happy wargaming!

1 comment:

  1. The figures and the terrain look amazing Kevin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete