Thursday, March 14, 2019

Command and Colors board - getting there...


Having painted in the hex lines using white paint, the next step was to go over them using a dark green. So far, I've done this for four of the six required boards. You can see three pictured here, slotted together.


Once this was done, it was time to add the flock. I'm using Noch flock, which is the same stuff I use on the bases of my figures. I used a slightly watered down PVA as the glue, and then used a sieve to apply the flock, which helped to ensure the application was even. I don't want the finished surface to be too uneven, since there will be MDF terrain hexes sitting on top.


And here's a shot of the first finished board. It's ok, but I've learned a few things about how I'd do it differently next time. My biggest mistake was using a fine pen to mark out the lines needed to plot the hexes. I had assumed these wouldn't be visible underneath the flock, but I was wrong! I'll make sure I use a pencil next time.

I think a bit of colour variation would improve the look, so if I do this C&C board again, I'll paint a thin coat of browns and green over the hexes before applying the flock. This will also help to mute the hex lines a bit.

This weekend I'm hoping to get most of the other 5 boards finished. After that, I'll be thinking about putting together the terrain hexes for hills and rivers etc. For buildings, I've ordered a 10mm scale black powder set from Total Battle Miniatures, so I'm looking forward to those arriving and getting them painted up.

Meanwhile, figure painting progresses steadily. I added more bases to the Prussian infantry this week, and have another base of horse artillery currently on the paint bench. More photo updates soon!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I have gone to 2.5 inch hexes printed on fabric. I used to have 4" but found that 2.5 inch is the best compromise. I tried to use hex-based hills but gave up in favor of hills underneath the hex grid fabric. Because the fabric is so thin several hills can exist in a 4x4 or 6x4 gaming table. info at imagineimage.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to see your own approach with the terrain underneath. Does look quite good! As it happens, I'm also now thinking of using a printed cloth mat. However, I'm considering using printed cloth terrain laid on top of this, thus having a fully flat playing surface.

      Although 3D terrain would be nice, I've found it difficult to find something that I'm completely satisfied with, on all levels. If I were using smaller size miniatures then Hexon would be my preferred option. It works really well with 6, 10, 12 or even 15mm. But for 20mm miniatures the hexes are just a bit too small, especially if terrain has to fit inside the hex too.

      Although it might seem daft using 2D terrain with 3D miniatures, I think I might actually prefer the convenience of it. I'm currently looking into it, so we'll see!

      Thanks for sharing your own ideas/approach. Good to see.

      Delete