Sunday, April 28, 2019

Commands & Colors using Hexon - at last, some focus!


Some enjoyable time was spent this weekend putting down a few random pieces of Hexon terrain and looking again at the best way of making them work with my 20mm Napoleonics. Having abandoned the idea of my 6-inch hexes and chipboard table, I needed to come up with something that would be smaller and more convenient to set up and use.

I like Hexon. It's a great product, and although the hex sizes are probably best suited to 6 to 15mm figures, I think I can just about get away with squeezing my 20mm minis on them. The size of the units might not be as grand as what I had originally intended, but they still look fairly decent.

Figure-wise, I can fit four bases of infantry and four bases of cavalry on a hex quite comfortably. It's a bit more of a squeeze for hexes with buildings or trees, but still possible. The hills work well too. The slopes are high enough to give some reasonable elevation, but are also gentle enough for my bases not to fall off.


I have enough Hexon already for a standard C&C board, along with plenty of hills, but I need to add some river sections and get them finished up, as well as paint the buildings I bought from Total Battle Miniatures. Other features like bridges, redoubts, lakes etc, will also need to be considered.

Rather than using casualty markers, I can also use bases to represent blocks on a like-for-like basis, so I'll remove bases as they're lost throughout the game. Some players don't like figure removal in games, but it's always been my preferred way of playing. I like the table to be free of tokens or markers as much as possible. The only exception will be artillery, which I'll represent with a single base and use some sort of markers.


So, I'm happy that I've finally settled on a way forward for this project. I'll be back to more regular posts from now on, so I'll share more on this project soon.

5 comments:

  1. Nice set up Kevin! Great to see those lovely 20mm figures on the field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony! I'm looking forward to finally getting a first game in of C&C using the 20mm collection. Only about 2 more foot and 6 more cavalry figures to go before I have enough for my first scenario. I'll share some pics of this soon hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm looking forward to getting all my stuff in the field at some point! Not sure when like. I certainly look forward to seeing you C&C game it will be a tremendous sight!

      Delete
    2. I'm really impressed by your ancients collection, Tony. It's making me want to dive in and start a 20mm ancients project of my own, but I must try and resist!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Kevin! I would say the same about your Napoleonics but I already have a chunk of Newline Napoleonics including French and Prussians but not much in the way of cavalry. There's always something more to buy from Sean!

      Delete