Thursday, May 16, 2019

A few more additions...

As mentioned in the previous post, I've been bulking out a few of the units for the Prussians and (to a lesser extent) the French. Nothing entirely new, but it's good to have the units a bit bigger than they were. Here's just a few of them...

Most of these will possibly be added to in the future - particularly the hussars - but for now I'm considering them as done. I still need to add a flag to those hussars though!

Horse artillery - now two bases strong
Aside from adding to the terrain collection, I'll be focusing a bit more on the French for the next little while. They don't have any heavy cavalry yet (apart from some cuirassiers), so I have some dragoons undercoated and ready to do next.

Hussars - 12 figures on 6 bases
All of a sudden it feels like I'm not far off getting both the French and Prussian armies to a point where I can call them finished. Besides the heavy cavalry, I'd like to add some young guard and old guard for the French, a couple of bases of horse artillery, some more light infantry and a few more bases of light cavalry. Both armies could also use one or two more command bases.

Dragoons - 12 figures, but still to be rebased in twos
I'm in no rush to add all of these. I'm enjoying being at the point now where I can paint up units at a more leisurely pace whilst concentrating on building up my terrain and playing a few games games here and there. My mind is always thinking about the next project, of course, but I'm keeping my options open. As far as the 20mm Napoleonics collection goes, besides painting extra French and Prussian units, I can start adding troops from other nations too, but still make use of them on the tabletop as allied contingents. I already have some British and Hanoverians in the lead pile, so I may decide to do those first, but then again I'm also very tempted to paint up some Russians (or maybe Austrians...). Who knows!?

Wargaming is a bit like being at a huge buffet, but it's easy to bit off more than one can chew. I shall endeavour to remain focused, and will undoubtedly fail completely, but still having great fun all the same.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful units Kevin! Real eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging comments, Tony. Always helps keep me going!

      Delete
  2. Kevin, if you are on facebook there is a Newline Designs 20mm painters group that are fans of your lovely work! It's a friendly, enthusiastic and encouraging group and we would love to have a highly skilled painter such as yourself:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/237173030519975/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Really appreciate the invite to the FB group. Sean from Newline mentioned there was one, so I'm guessing this might be the same group? I haven't used FB in a very long time, but I will definitely get back on board soon. It would certainly be nice to connect with other 20mm aficionados, that's for sure.

      Delete
    2. Yes that's the one Kevin! Sean is in the group too and you will be in good company. Sharing WIP has been helpful to keep me focused on getting units finished, would be great to chat with you there!

      Delete