Friday, January 20, 2023

British 79th regiment of foot - Cameron Highlanders

 

At long last I got round to painting the first of what will probably be 3 units of Scottish Highlanders for my Napoleonic British collection - figures as usual by Newline Designs. I decided to paint the first lot as the 79th Cameron Highlanders, if for no other reason than because I like their green cuffs and facings.

My only previous attempt at painting tartan was on 10mm minis, so I wasn't sure how this would go, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Doing some practice attempts first and following advice from other painters online certainly helped.

The flags from Tiny Tin Troops really help to finish the unit off nicely.

The other two planned Highlander units are the Gordon Highlanders and the Black Watch. I'll look forward to adding those at some point, but will more than likely divert to other things first - namely, some cavalry and artillery. 3 units of British done in total now. Another 5 and I can have a game using the Neil Thomas rules.

17 comments:

  1. Lovely to see and a great job on the tartan. Do you have to re-size the Tiny Tin Troops flags or are they fitting the scale propely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the flags are used just as they come - from their 22mm ranges: http://www.tinytintroops.co.uk/Flags/flags_new_Nap_20mm.htm
      I think they're mainly aimed at 1/72 scale, so probably slightly on the large side for Newline figures, but I find them just fine.

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look superb and wonderful work on the tartan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I doubt it's a good representation of the Cameron tartan, but I can live with it.

      Delete
  3. That is super-smart tartan painting - great job! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your highlanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stryker. I think the 92nd will be next in line among the Highlanders.

      Delete
  4. Excellent tartan

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 posts in 1 day, ambassador you're spoiling us! Especially so with with that stunning tartan, you have certainly done Scotland proud there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. I just need to be more consistent with these blog posts now. Feels like I'm failing at it again!

      Delete
    2. I can't help you with that, I have 2 part written posts that I just haven't managed to get finished they've been in my drafts posts for weeks/months! :-D

      Delete
    3. Never mind - those posts will be maturing like a tasty cheese!

      Delete
  6. Nice work Tony, my test peace figure way back was a Tartan clad figure, the shop owner said "If you can paint tartan you can paint about anything!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobby - I'm certainly glad to have the first tartan unit under my belt. The next one should feel easier I think.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work Kevin I've painted two highland regiments for my 28mm army and to be honest I really enjoyed doing them and they look amazing when completed,yours are a work of art best wishes jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay. Yes there is a definite satisfaction to painting Highlanders. Maybe I'll get a chance to do some 28mm one day.

      Delete