Saturday, April 25, 2020

British line infantry - 44th East Essex


My first unit of Napoleonic British is now finished! These are painted to represent the 2nd battalion of the 44th East Essex, which was part of Pack's brigade at Waterloo. Hopefully I got most of the uniform details correct, although I'm starting almost from scratch as far as my knowledge of British uniforms goes. I think I'm right in saying drummers didn't wear reversed colours by the time of 1815 (officially, at least), but I decided to go with the yellow jacket anyway for the sake of variety.

Figures are by Newline Designs. Flags are from warflag.com


I originally intended to go all out and paint a 36-figure unit, using 6 bases of 6 figures, but I changed my mind at the end and switched back to my usual 24-man unit on 4-figure bases. As a result, I still need to add a couple of flank companies, so I'll probably swap out two of the bases at some point and repurpose them for a different battalion, once the flank companies are painted.





I'm keen to dive straight into another unit of British, but can't quite decide what to do next - lots to choose from. I'm very tempted to stay with Pack's brigade and paint the Black Watch battalion next. Time to put a brew on and have a think about it...

12 comments:

  1. Holy hell, they look fantastic ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look superb Kevin you've got the red jackets spot on and the sculpts look really good look forward to the black watch I've done them in 28mm and I have another set to do keep them coming I love the brits you can't best those scarlet jackets regards jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. I've really enjoyed taking a break from the usual French and Prussian blues to do something a bit different. Looking forward to the next unit now. How did you find doing the highlanders in 28mm? Any tips on doing the tartan? I'm thinking the Black Watch tartan might be one of the easier ones to do (he says, laughing nervously...)

      Delete
    2. I cant remember the colours off the top of my head I no I used vallejo Oxford blue as the base coat and used various greens and maybe a yellow for the tartan I actually didn't mind doing them the black watch tartan was known as the government set I'll have a look at my figures when I get home from work and refresh my memory I've got all sorts on the go at the moment 10mm 20mm and 28mm all good fun though and I've still been on the newline and pendraken website thinking of buying more don't tell "er indoors"I'd be in deep trouble take care regards jsy

      Delete
    3. Nice one, thanks Jay. I may end up doing the 92nd Gordon Highlanders before the Black Watch - I'm still deciding. Sounds like you're staying busy hobby-wise! Definitively all good fun, even if our other half doesn't always share the enthusiasm ;-)

      Delete
  3. What size are the bases? Width and depth?

    ReplyDelete