It's been quite a while since I posted anything, but in case you are wondering I haven't abandoned the blog. Other commitments and a bit of hobby burnout has meant I've either not had the time or the inclination to do much with my various projects - particularly my 20mm Napoleonic collections, which are the main focus here.
I will get going with things again soon, and plan to do more than just post photos of what I've been painting (although there will be plenty of that too, I'm sure). What I really want to do is write up some battle reports, try out some of the many rulesets I've amassed over the past few years, and generally share some of my hobby adventures in Napoleonic wargaming, especially from a solo-gaming viewpoint.
Despite the lack of posts, I did manage to make progress with my rebasing project earlier this year. I lost count of how many times I changed my mind about base sizes, but eventually settled on two-figure bases for cavalry and six-figure bases for infantry. (For those that are interested the cavalry bases have a 35mm frontage and 37.5mm depth. The infantry are 37.5mm wide and either 30mm or 35mm deep.) Artillery bases are either 45 or 50mm wide, of varying depths.
The rebasing is only partly done. I'm maybe about a third of the way there, but there's enough to give me some French and Prussian units to play with. As well as giving all the bases a more consistent look, I took the chance to touch up and repaint certain units, and correct some of my uniform mistakes (of which I'm sure there are still quite a few!) The biggest change was to give the French infantry uniforms a darker blue colour and to repaint a lot of the shako covers as greys or browns rather than having them all black.
I have a new gaming cloth on order, which should give me a prettier surface to demo a short game for my next post. I'll either be using Lasalle 2nd edition or Shadow of the Eagles, both of which were released this year. More on that next time!