Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Prussian dragoons


This is the first of two units of dragoons for the Prussians. It feels like I always say this, but I did really enjoy painting these, so much so that I might decide to press on and do the second unit next.



As with a lot of what I've painted so far for both the Prussians and the French, I'm not 100% certain about the accuracy of some of the uniform details, but I take a fairly relaxed approach to that side of things. As long as they look fairly close to what they would have done, then I'm happy with that. For example, were the cuffs coloured or was it just coloured piping on the cuffs? I wasn't entirely sure. I don't spend a lot of time searching for these answers, so I just go with what I like the look of best if I can't find what I'm looking for quickly. As time goes on and my resource library gets bigger, I'm sure I'll become more knowledgable, but in the meantime I don't worry about the details too much. The main thing is to have fun, paint something I like the look of, and then crack on with the next thing in the lead pile!



Likewise with the flag. The unit is supposed to be the 5th dragoons (which I believe were also known as the 2nd West Prussian regiment), but I couldn't find the flag for them online - even a 28mm version, which I was thinking of buying and scaling down - so I've used this line infantry flag instead in the meantime.



As far as the rest of the Prussians go, I've been enlarging the infantry units from 20 to 24 figures (as I did with the French), and I have just one last base of landwehr to paint up. Once that's done, the Prussian army will be about the same size as the French in terms of figure count. So, I hope to do another video soon to show how the collection is looking so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment