Friday, November 2, 2018

The French army so far...


I finally had some spare time to muster the French army onto the tabletop during the week for a quick photo and video. It was quite satisfying to see how far the collection has come since I started it, and I'm looking forward to adding more units, especially some more cavalry (although, horse artillery is probably going to be next on the 'to do' list).

I did shoot about 4 or 5 minutes of video with my phone, but I still need to process and upload it, so I'll stick it on YT as soon as I get round to finish it off.

In the meantime, I've just finished painting a unit of Prussian dragoons, so once the bases are done I'll share a pic of those. With that unit now done, both my Prussian and French armies are of an equivalent size, which is approximately 190 infantry and 27 cavalry each, plus 4 foot artillery and some commanders. Definitely large enough now to play some games, so my focus this weekend will be to crack on with building some terrain. More of that in a future post!

3 comments:

  1. Hi

    amazing looking army , im currently in process of painting my French for quatra bras . How did you extend the flag poles .

    kind regards

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oliver. I use wire spears (NSS102) from Northstar Miniatures for the flag poles. The Newline ones are okay, but a bit too soft for my liking, and sometimes a bit too short as you say. The Northstar ones are super strong. They're way too long, but the gauge is a good fit (although I usually need to carefully drill out the hands to get the spear to fit). You could probably get away with something thinner. The French eagles are part of the original flag pole from Newline Designs, so I just snip that off and glue it into the flag, butted up against the wire spear. It's a bit fiddly - best done before basing!

      I hope that helps. Here's the link to the Northstar page. Good luck with your French and Quatre Bras project!

      Cheers, Kevin

      Delete
    2. Sorry, forgot the link: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=537

      Delete