Monday, December 2, 2019

Prussian uhlans!


A while back, in the course of building up my Prussian army, I got in touch with Sean at Newline Designs to ask him what he thought would be the most suitable figures in his range to use to represent Prussian uhlans. The Newline range is pretty extensive, but one thing I noticed that was missing for the Prussians was lancers.

My main reason for wanting to add lancers to the collection was that they are represented in the Commands & Colors game as a distinct unit type - plus, I've noticed many other Napoleonic rulesets have separate rules to distinguish uhlans from other types of Prussian cavalry. Regardless of rule requirements, though, I think lancers were a pretty cool feature of the Napoleonic battlefield, so I thought they would make a great addition to the collection.

So, my plan was to do some sort of conversion, perhaps using dragoons or mounted landwehr models as a basis, or something from one of the other nations. However, being the throughly nice chap that he his, Sean at Newline (after going away and done a bit of research of his own) decided that he would sculpt some new minis and add them to the range.

Fast forward a number of months to last week when I received a very pleasant surprise email from Sean saying he was sending me some goodies in the post. Needless to say, I was more than just a little excited, and sure enough the next day our postie delivered a very generous bag of 20mm metal goodies. Uhlans!


All other painting was immediately put on hold as I got stuck right into the first batch of these guys. And a real pleasure to paint they were too!

I'm pleased Sean decided to depict them wearing the kollet rather than the litewka, since it helps add a bit of variety to the Prussian cavalry units, which already have dragoons and landwehr wearing the litewka.

Prussian uhlans have quite an interesting history in terms of the formation of the various regiments and the different uniforms that they sometimes had. These ones I've painted are meant to represent the 1st (West Prussian) regiment, which had yellow buttons and white shoulder straps.

As with the French line lancers I did a while back, I decided to use wire lances instead of the cast ones that are supplied. The cast ones are perfectly fine, but I just prefer using the slightly slimmer wire ones.


For reference, I used Digby's Smith's The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of the Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars, which has some cracking illustrations. And I've also recently expanded my reference library by picking up the Blandford Colour series of books on the Napoleonic Wars, which are also very insightful. Peter Hofschröer's book from the Osprey series was also an excellent source of information - the second volume covers the Prussian cavalry from 1807 to 1815.

Illustration plate from the book by Digby Smith on Napoleonic uniforms. I can highly recommend it!

A plate showing Prussian uhlans from Uniforms of Waterloo by Philip Haythornthwaite

With the other uhlans I have still to paint, I am contemplating using some of them as a basis for a unit of Prussian National Cavalry. The illustration above of the trooper from the Pomerian National Cavalry regiment got me thinking that I could basically use the same uhlan miniatures to represent this regiment because the uniforms are pretty much the same. However, I'd need to give them sabres instead of lances, so I'll see.

Anyway, if like me you've been waiting for the chance to add 20mm Prussian uhlans to your army, then I'm sure Sean will have these excellent new miniatures available on his website in the near future!

5 comments:

  1. Top level service from Sean! He is a top guy! And you have done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Yes, it was mightily good of Sean to add these to his range. I hear he has more new Naps in the pipeline, too, including some Portuguese cavalry. I'm hoping to start my Peninsular War project at some point this year, so those will be very handy! Cheers, Kevin

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Kevin! I look forward to seeing the Peninsula War project progress gives those lovely French forces more enemies.

    I don't know how Sean manages to bang out all these sculpts he must not sleep. I recently grabbed the new Hellenistic infantry codes with more Hellenistic ancients planned 2020 is the year for 20mm :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tony! Yes, I know what you mean. Sean seems to be incredibly prolific. It sounds like 2020 will be a year to enjoy for us 20mm fans. I'm sorely tempted to start an ancients army myself, especially with the new releases, It's always inspiring to see your own collection being steadily added to. Who knows, maybe I'll need a break from naps at some point...I also have a small pile of Newline figs for the Sudan Wars that was supposed to be another new project. I'm sure I'll get round to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin! Well I can highly recommend the ancients range but I am obviously very biased :-D

      There are a few Colonial gamers/collectors on the FB group and I am sorley tempted for some Anglo-Boer figures! But I really must get through the growing mountain of ancients!

      Delete