Monday, November 2, 2020

Brunswick line infantry


This Brunswick 3rd line battalion took very little time to paint and a very long time to complete! I originally started it in June but was distracted by various other projects and commitments. I finally had some time off work last week so was able to get them done, but not before a bit of a varnishing disaster along the way...

Having never painted Brunswickers, I wondered how I might be able to make them more visually interesting. I see other painters sometimes contrast the areas by using black and very dark greys, rather than painting them all black. This looks quite good, but I really wanted my figures to be entirely black, with minimal highlights to avoid any sense of them looking grey. They are the 'Black Brunswickers' after all.

The idea I came up with was to use a combination of matt and semi-gloss blacks to create the contrasts I was after. I used matt black on the clothing and a semi-gloss black on selected items like the belts, straps, shako visor etc.


In the end, it looked okay. Not brilliant, but it sort of worked...until for some reason I decided to give the whole lot of them a coat of spray-on matt varnish. I have never varnished any of my 20mm miniatures. There's usually not much need to, since they mostly sit safely on their shelves with only the occasional bit of gaming done at home. However, a few chips and scratches here and there had recently made me wonder whether I should try and protect my painting efforts a bit more. The spray can I tried was supposed to give a matt finish, but once dried it really was more like high gloss! Perhaps I went in too heavy, I'm not sure. Anyway, I ended up wasting a morning having to go back over them with some of the 'Anti-shine' by Warlord Games to knock down the gloss. This worked quite well, but I also repainted some of the matt black areas.

The straps and other parts which were supposed to be semi-gloss have been left looking a bit too shiny for my liking. I might revisit them at some point and dull those areas down as well, but for now I think they've spent far too long on the paint bench, so it's time to move on to another unit.


That next unit will be some Hanoverians; however, I mainly want to focus on terrain for the next couple of months. If I can get these Hanoverians and a few other units painted before the end of the year, I'll be happy with that. 2020 hasn't been the most productive one for me in the hobby, and like a lot of things this year, my plan to make good progress with the British and Allied armies this year has rather gone off the rails. Hopefully, things will get back on track soon.

(As a side note, I recently watched a Youtube video by Liberator240 who talked about the Winsor & Newton Professional Matte Varnish that he recently started using for his figures, so I'm thinking of giving that a try next time - on a test piece first, of course!)

12 comments:

  1. They look great! I use Windsor & Newton gloss on my figures for protection but the best way I've found to matt them down if required is to apply Testors Dullcote (brush not spray). It always dries to a proper matt finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Stryker. I'll keep this in mind for next time. I'm certainly in favour of brush-applied varnishes rather than sprays, even if it does take a bit longer. In a house with two cats and a dog, any use of aerosols around wargaming figures seems to invite a lot of hairs. Mind you, it serves me right for spraying indoors in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I think that they look great. Not only that it is a sensible and 'realistic' combination to contrast the black of cloth and leather. I did a bit of a mix on some Brunswickers that I painted a few years back. Black for uniform with a bit of grey-black highlight and semi-gloss for leather.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I'm reassured to hear of someone else using the same approach. When I'm able to look at them with a fresh pair of eyes I'm sure they will seem better, although I still think I need to dial down the shine on the leather areas a bit - make them more leather and less PVC!

      Delete
  3. Cheers Phil. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Vallejo matt varnish (brush not spray) on all my figures which brings out the colours. Then highlight leather etc using Vallejo satin varnish. Works a treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, thanks for letting me know about the Vallejo varnishes. I use a fair number of their paints from the Model and Game colour ranges, but hadn't even thought to look and see if they did varnishes as well. I'll definitely have to check those out. The paints themselves are usually pretty good, and it sounds like the varnish is as well. Cheers, Kevin

      Delete
  5. Hi Kevin, Vallejo also do a matt MEDIUM, which is, in effect a thinners to make the paint flow better. Don't confuse the two (I did !!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - I wonder if the Warlord Games 'Anti-shine' is just a matte medium, then? I have some matte medium by Winsor & Newton. My understanding it's kind of just paint without any pigment added. I've used it before as a scenic cement, mixed with water.

      Delete
  6. Worth reading Vallejo description of medium as it has various uses and application BUT varnish it is not !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing job as ever! I think the use of matt black and semi gloss black was a good move.

    ReplyDelete