Monday, November 15, 2021

Young Guard voltigeurs

 


Now that the rebasing project is mostly out the way, I can finally get back to a spot of painting again. My French and Prussian armies are both at useful gaming sizes, so there's no real pressure any more to get particular units or troop types done. I can cherry pick things from the lead pile as and when I want. I have a number of guard infantry and cavalry units still to do, so I thought it was about time I added this unit of Young Guard, painted as voltigeurs.

I don't know a great deal about the uniforms of the Young Guard, but from what I could gather the lack of shako cords on these figures must mean they represent a later period of the Napoleonic wars, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again to warflag.com for the fanion. I only realised at the last moment that Young Guard regiments didn't carry eagles, so a quick change of the flag pole was needed. Very nice figures from Newline Designs as always.

This now gives me two guard units for the French – enough for a small elite brigade for a Shadow of the Eagles game, I'm thinking.

What I'll paint next is anyone's guess. I have my eye on some Portuguese line infantry, but I just took delivery of my latest order from Newline for some Russian and Polish troops, so they're also in the mix now, as well as some artillery limbers.

16 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking unit, make no mistake about it! Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking unit, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely unit! Which Newline codes did you use for the voltigeurs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ah, that's a good question! I seem to remember that when I ordered these I asked Sean if he could put together a unit pack for me. I had a quick look on the Newline website, and the only code they have is the 4-figure FR27/2 pack, so that must be them (with some suitable command figures added). If you email Newline I'm sure Sean would be happy to advise. Cheers, Kevin

      Delete
  4. Hi Kevin, nice unit indeed. The uniform modelled by Sean is the 1812 issue style. Sean does produce a lovely set of 1808 uniform infantry with long tailed cutaway habit-veste if you would wish to model more YG pre the Russian campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, that's good to know. I wasn't entirely sure of the date. I might well paint some in the 1808 uniform at some point. I have a couple of middle guard units to get round to at some point as well.

      Delete
  5. I at down this morning with coffee in hand and went right through your blog - fantastic, a really enjoyable read. Thanks.

    As an aside, though I follow you, you have not been showing in my blog list, but you do appear in my readers list. I contacted Google, who advised going into 'Layout', selecting the blog widget and using edit. Scrolling to the very bottom of that allows you to manually add bloggers. Anyway, all fine now, but others may have the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I wish I had a bit more time to post stuff. Hopefully one day! Thanks for the tip about following blogs. I usually have just a bit list of bookmarked blogs I visit, which is probably not very efficient!

      Delete
  6. Inspiring stuff as ever Kevin! I'm so far behind currently both on and offline with the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Hope you manage to find some hobby time again soon!

      Delete
  7. I can only echo other people's comments. First class painting and basing, resulting in inspiring gaming units.

    ReplyDelete