Thursday, June 8, 2023

British Royal Horse Artillery

 


Another addition to my growing collection of British Napoleonics, this time a few bases of horse artillery. It's likely that most games I play will only use one or two bases to represent a battery, but I do like the look of three guns together.


The blue on the uniforms has turned out a bit brighter than I'd planned, although it is slightly exaggerated in the photos. Apart from that I'm pretty happy with them. I wasn't sure if the figure with his hand reseting on his sword hilt is supposed to be an officer or not, but decided to just treat him as another regular crew member.



As far as the British and Allied army goes, the collection is getting there slowly. I seem to paint in bursts with sometimes long gaps in between. Hopefully my current run of painting enthusiasm will last for a bit longer.

Here's a group shot of everything that's been painted with 1815 scenarios in mind:


I still have plenty of unpainted metal in the pile - more heavy and light cavalry, another two Highlander battalions and one of line infantry, several Hanoverian battalions, Brunswick infantry and cavalry, and various command models. I'd also like to add some Dutch-Belgian units and Nassau troops eventually. For now though, this feels like a decent playable army for the small games I generally have time and space for.

I might take a break from the painting to focus on some terrain modelling next. I have an idea to create two 2' x 2' boards for small games, and will share some photos of that if it goes to plan.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely, what varnishes do you use to protect the metals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Norm. I don't normally bother with varnish, and so far I've not had any major problems with paint coming off. I'm usually quite careful when handling the bases but I suppose if I were playing games more often it might be a different story. I may yet go back and varnish everything, although it would be a big job as I don't particularly like using spray varnish. I also prefer the purely matt finish of just the paint. Even matt varnishes I've tried seem to have at least a little bit of sheen to them. I did experiment once with using an enamel undercoat, which did seem to give the acrylic paint a better surface to bond to, but I'm sort of stuck in my ways now of just using acrylics throughout. Do you use varnish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin ,my thoughts on varnishing my figures ,I've tried a few different ones including the spray varnishes which I won't ever use again ,the varnish I use now is revell Matt varnish No.2 that for me is the best I've used it's never let me down ,I have just bought a bottle of Windsor and newton Matt varnish but I've yet to try it , varnishing is always a bit nerve racking all that hard work could be ruined in seconds ,regards jay

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jay, that's good to know. I'm planning to buy a couple of different varnishes to try out based on other people's recommendations here. I hadn't considered the revell one, so will think about giving that a try since it works so well for you.

      Delete
  3. More lovely models Kevin, I always brush my models with matt varnish. Yes, they do end up with a slight sheen (as I'm sure you have noticed) but lots of handling results in a shine developing anyway. Just modified french infantry to represent 2nd Dutch 1809 for my Peninsular army. Will keep you posted
    Mike x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I'll look forward to seeing those Dutch infantry once you've finished them. Yes, if I ever decide to use varnish again it would be brushed on.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work. I think that the RHA uniform is one of the most elegant uniforms of the period.

    Regarding varnish, I’ve tried most. I’d recommend good quality artist varnishes. If you’ve painted your Van Gogh, you don’t want it ruined. I normally use Daler Rowney brush on acrylic matt but it is sometimes a bit viscous and then you get a little bit of pooling. It is very reliable if you mix it thoroughly. I have found that it is best to throw away the last quarter of the bottle as too much of the solvent has evaporated.

    Recently I have found the Winsor and Newton Professional matt spray to be very good. It is also matt with very little sheen. AK Ultra Matt is absolutely matt- possibly too much. Winsor and Newton matt acrylic varnish in a tub is rubbish- dries gloss and forms bubbles. I do the brass and silver bits on the figure after varnishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agree about the RHA uniforms, and yet not difficult to difficult to paint either, I found. Thanks for the tips on using artists' varnish. I have used the W&N brush-on varnishes before (the liquid, bottled kind). I used gloss on some Brunswickers a while ago if I remember correctly. The matt does 'froth' a bit going on but dries ok. I'll keep the Daler Rowney and the W&N spray varnishes in mind, and will look into the AK ranges as well. I'd already been considering trying them out.

      Delete
  5. The British contingent are looking excellent Kev!

    ReplyDelete