Sunday, July 20, 2014

Finished: Roman Scorpion Catapult




I finally finished off the Early Imperial Roman Scorpion yesterday. It took a little longer than anticipated because I decided that a base this size really needed a bit of time and effort put into it.

I used Milliput to model the ground and, while this was still wet, added a few small stones from the garden, together with some smaller scenic gravel. Once that had all dried I undercoated the base black and started drybrushing greys and white for the stony areas and various mixes of green, yellow and brown for the earth. I used some ink washes here and there as well, just to blend everything together. I'd run out of scenic bushes and tufts, so I used an old model tree and cut some pieces from it to use as shrubs. A few daubs of yellow paint gives them the appearance of broom. A final touch was to scatter some of the particles of the tree cuttings around the bases of the shrubs.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how this piece turned out. Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment