Friday, September 30, 2016

Winter Warmer - TTC Challenge



The "Winter Warmer" hobby challenge is about to start over on Tabletop Commanders, so I've decided to get on board and pick a hobby project that's been languishing under the table for far too long.

It's unlikely I'll be doing anything except 20mm Napoleonics over the next few months, so rather than doing a painting challenge I thought I'd try to improve my collection of terrain, which at the moment is pretty woeful.

About two years ago I bought a couple of boxes of the Hexon terrain made by Kallistra. I got as far as covering the tiles with my homemade flock, but that was about it. Fine if I wanted to play a game on flat, featureless grassland, but not much good for anything else (and very uninspiring).

For the Winter Warmer,  I would like to finish what I started, which means adding various hex terrain features. I still need to come up with a list but it will include the usual things like hills, roads, river tiles etc. When it's finished, the whole setup should have a more unified appearance, so I'm going to go back and reflock most of the tiles and the few hills that I have previously made. Kallistra makes a good range of Hex terrain features, but I'm going to try to do this on a small budget, which means building my own features as far as possible and making use of the materials I already have lying around. If I do splurge money on anything it'll likely be a bridge or two, and maybe some buildings, so part of the time spent will be on painting up any resin terrain I buy.

I like the Hexon tiles. They are a good size for my 20mm figures, and even if I'm not playing hex-based rules, they should be a good modular system of terrain for playing any game. All going well, by the end of the year I should have a terrain system that will be practical for gaming but also look good on the table. At least, that's the plan...

So, challenge set. I'll write it up in more detail for the next post and like everyone else I'll share updates as I go along. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other TTCs are doing for their Winter Warmer.

Cheers,
K. 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great challenge for yourself. Those little terrain hexes look great. I'll add your challenge to the list over on the FB forum for the community. Good luck on the challenge, Kevin.

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kurtus! Looking forward to getting started on it and seeing what everyone else is up to.

      Delete