Saturday, June 25, 2022

Polish napoleonic line infantry - 13th and 4th regiments

 



It's been another a dry spell lately as far as painting goes, but for the past few weeks I've been working away on some Polish line infantry figures, which are now finally done. These are painted as the 13th and 4th regiments, the former of which had white jackets as opposed to the normal blue. Finding good reference materials for the uniforms wasn't easy, so there are no doubt a few errors in the details.

Newline Designs only have a small selection of Polish troops in their Napoleonic range, but enough to allow me to add some variety to my French army. I have two more units to paint, which I'll get round to at some point.

The flags used are made by Tiny Tin Troops, and are from their 22mm range. It's the first time I've used TTT flags, and I'm very pleased with the quality. They're perhaps slightly larger than what I'd normally use, but not enough to matter. I'm planning to use TTT flags from now on, and may go back and replace some of my older flags with TTT ones on certain units.

16 comments:

  1. I just started working on an army in 1/72 after a 9 year absence from the hobby. The Newline figures look great. I wonder how they compare to the plastic sets from HaT and Irtaleri as I don't like the plastic sets of Polish troops. These look really nice. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - great to hear you're enjoying a return to the hobby. I can't comment about the plastic 1/72 sets, since I don't have any, but I've heard that some people are happy to mix them with Newline figures, while others find Newline a bit too small. I think there is a lot of variation between 1/72 minis, so maybe depends on which ones you have. Best way to decide is just buy a pack or two of Newline and see. All the best, Kevin

      Delete
  2. stunning work as ever Kev interesting units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Enjoyed doing these ones as it was something a bit different!

      Delete
  3. As ever Kevin bloody gorgeous work the yellow faced regiment I'm thinking are the Vistula legion are simply stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. I think the Vistual legion had a different style of plate on the front of the shako - a sunburst or something. Can't remember if Newline actually have a separate range for Vistula legion or not, I'll need to look. These ones are meant to be the earlier Polish uniforms where the coat lapels were yellow, if I've done my research right!

      Delete
  4. Great models as usual. Getting a bit worried as you had vanished off line for quite a spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, sorry for the lack of posts. I don't get nearly as much time to spend on the hobby as I'd like these days.

      Delete
  5. Great models as usual Kevin. In process of moving so not much painting being done.. I converted French guard lancers into Vistula Lancers for my Peninsula army. Sean is sending me French artillery crews from the Egyptian campaign to convert into Spanish gun crews… watch this space (sometime this year) lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Sorry for the late reply. The blog has been neglected a fair bit lately. Hoping that autumn/winter will give me more hobby time. Looking forward to seeing those conversions. The Newline ranges do seem to offer good possibilities there. My own wish would be to do try and convert some figures into Prussian grenadiers with uncovered shakos and plumes (not quite figured out the best way to do that yet). Hope the move went well. All the best.

      Delete
  6. Have been browsing your posts again and like the scale v table size and off the back of that, have put a small order into Newline to give things a try - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, thanks for the comment - hope you enjoy giving the Newline figures a try out. For me, I've certainly found them a good fit with my 6x4 table when it comes to 'divisional' sized games. Eg. Shadow of the Eagles. Should also work well with the likes of Black Powder using 1/2 or 2/3 measurements. I'm hoping to run a small campaign soon, so will be back to posting again. Just deciding which system to use.

      Delete