Saturday, December 24, 2022

British line infantry - The Royal Scots

 


A very quiet year on this blog but I will at least close out 2022 with one more post to show the latest unit to leave the paint desk - the 3rd battalion of the British 1st Regiment of Foot, The Royal Scots. Along with the 44th East Essex, I now have two units of British Napoleonics painted with a third (79th Cameron Highlanders) in progress.

The flags are by Tiny Tin Troops, which I'm going to use as much as possible from now on. I like the strong colours of the printing, so they stand out well on the tabletop.


I also got round to rebasing the 44th East Essex, which were still on the smaller 25x25mm bases (4 figs per base). The flags were replaced with ones from Tiny Tin Troops.


I can't remember why I never painted any flank company figures for the 44th. I must have been saving them for some other use, but I think I'll go back and add them at a later date.



Although I haven't posted or painted much lately, I have been enjoying quite a few games with my 20mm collection. Shadow of the Eagles has had a few enjoyable outings, but in particular I've been playing quite a lot of Neil Thomas' 'Napoleonic Wargaming'. The rules are very simple, and use only 8 units per side. There's no reason why you couldn't scale up to use 12 or 16 units per side, but so far I've stuck with 8 units, which fit well onto a smaller table - in my case 4' x 4'. I'll talk more about the rules and my games with them in the future.

2023 should see me posting more often here. I'll continue painting more British troops but also plan to add in some Prussian allies in the form of some Austrian and Russian troops. I'd like to add some Bavarians and Swiss troops for the French, too.

Hope you enjoy the photos. More to follow.

10 comments:

  1. They look great, superb colors...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I think the British are daunting to paint, so good job and agree, the flags are superb. I like the old school way that Neil Thomas has units of 8 with everything being in that 8, line, lights, cav and even the Guard! As exemplified in his exampled AAR - Liebitz (spelling?) Good stuff, so look forwards to any battles that you put up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm - yes, I agree the British are a more daunting prospect for painting. Definitely taking me longer to do compared with the Prussians or French. Satisfying once done though. That AAR in the Neil Thomas books is excellent. Some good ones in his Ancient & Medieval Wargaming book too.

      Delete
  3. Great work, glad you like TTT flags. Nice to see you painting after so long a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. It's good to finally have something to post again.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Kevin, glad you've been getting some games in something that keeps eluding me currently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Yes, feels like I'm spending less time painting and more time playing these days, which isn't a bad thing. Hope you managed to find some time yourself this year. Cheers, Kevin

      Delete
    2. cheers Kev! Your game reports are great and I love your painting style so keep them both coming!

      Delete