Saturday, April 1, 2023

British 2nd Dragoons - Royal Scots Greys

 

I have a bit more spare time on my hands at the moment, so there's no excuse not to dig into the lead pile and add some more units to my British Napoleonic army. First up is the Scots Greys.

I've settled on 8-figure cavalry units these days, but may extend these out to 12 figures to match units that I painted earlier in the project. 12 figures (6 bases) do look great on the table, but 8 figures are fine and work well for games like Shadow of the Eagles and Neil Thomas' Napoleonic Wargaming.

These were good fun to paint - a solid couple of days' work, but worth the time put in. I didn't go for much variation on the horses, and held back from adding certain uniform details, but all in all I'm happy enough with how they turned out. The grey horses will certainly stand out nicely on the table.


A unit of light dragoons is next in the painting queue, and I'll see where my fancy takes me after that.

13 comments:

  1. Fine, fine work there! One thing I've learnt is that the old adage of 'paint the unit, not the figure', holds so true with the smaller scales. Certainly works well for 10mm as once at arms length, you barely notice any detail that might be missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sound advice Steve. I have to remind myself of it too often, especially with my own 10mm figs.

      Delete
  2. Wow - they look very complete to me, superb brush work. Agree that units of 8 work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The noblest cavalry in Europe and the worst led...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which reminds me, I need to finish rebasing my French lancers...

      Delete
  4. Really nicely painted, as always Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike - appreciate your earlier message with the bit of uniform info regards the colour of the bearskin cords on the troopers. Must fix that at some point soon!

      Delete
  5. Stunning work as usual Kevin just catching up with things hope your well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing your own Scots Greys (in 28mm) when I was searching around for reference. Very nice they were too!

      Delete
  6. yes ,ive done them i dont mind doing white horses to be fair ,im just working on some victrix dragoons for my brit collection very slow going as ive been doing work on my house which seems never ending

    ReplyDelete